Juan Enriquez: Economics and the Big Reboot

Juan Enriquez: The Big RebootIn his TED talk, Juan Enriquez ponders the economic meltdown. He also talks about wolves who dress like sheep and talk about entitlement. And he explains how the dollar in your pocket today may be worth a trillion 2010 dollars.

But more than that, Juan Enriquez offers a glimpse of the Big Reboot that is surely coming, and, I’ve gotta tell ya…it’s amazing and a little scary at the same time. I had no idea common people were already walking around with replacement tracheas and bladders and ears grown to order from their own cells.

I feel like we’re topping the peak on the roller coaster, right before the big rush; it’s going to be a very fun and thrilling ride — as long as the car doesn’t detach from the track and we aren’t flung into space and dashed on the amusement park asphalt. But nevermind the backseat pessimist…this wave is coming, in fact it’s already here, and we can choose to enjoy surfing it and hope the sharks aren’t biting, or resist and catch a choking throatful of ocean.

One of the big questions Enriquez alludes to: if you lose an eye, and doctors can replace it with an eye that can see many times better, how long before people start gouging out the good eyes they were born with and tossing them on the trash heap?

Welcome to a new species of human, Homo evolutis. Our kids are going to be different: Juan Enriquez Shares Mindboggling New Science.

Tip of the hat to Indigobusiness for pointing Juan Enriquez out of the crowd.

This entry was posted in Politics, Science and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Juan Enriquez: Economics and the Big Reboot

I agree, Joe.
    I think we are going to view the present day like we do the industrial revolution and the model T era.
    In fact, since I’m so old, I already do view it that way to some degree.

I think about my grandparents who went from non-motorized buggies to jet planes and the moon.

Sometimes I even feel lucky that I understand computers a bit.
    I wonder how well I will keep up with the new stuff as I get real old.

I’ll go for the new eyeballs, that’s for sure.

2. We tend to project our future linearly, rather than cyclically. Our ever onward and upward mindset might be in for a rude awakening should a reboot impact us in ways that reveal how many basic living skills we’ve forgotten.

Katrina revealed just how fragile our system is, and resources that sustain us are largely unreplaced. Should a system failure cause a widespread reboot, things could get real ugly real fast.

Hopefully our current predicament will teach us to simplify, before the weight of our hubris takes us under.

Interesting, Indigo.
    Hadn’t thought about that subject in a long time.
    We have a lot of “re-boot” examples in the history of our planet.

Living in Utah, a good 1/2 of the population has a 2 year supply of food, etc. Maybe it’s only 6 months…not sure. A Mormon rule.
    They used to talk quite a bit about living off the land, etc.
    Of course, that was when people actually believed the USSR was going to attack. I think they were worried about “Negros” at one time too.

I was just talking to a nice 27 year old guy I know. A welder. Seems reasonable in everyway, but says he is pretty sure it is all going to come crashing down soon. Quite the hunter/outdoorsman. Thinks he can make it in the woods.

I’m not so sure.
    I camp quite bit and it takes me two weeks to get comfortable in the wild, so I don’t notice how truly harsh it really is. I laugh at the two shows “Surviorman” and a little less at “Man vs Wild”, but to tell you the truth, it is very hard to live off the land…unless you set up camp close to a ranch and become a raider.

I’m quite sure city folks would die like flies before the two weeks was up.

Gruesome subject.

4. LaSirena says:

Hah, XMan! Rural folks always talk about how most city folks would die off if Armageddon shows up for dinner.

The truth is, survivors survive and the weak will die off. Those who adapt will last and those who don’t will die. People living in cities have post-apocalyptal plans, too — the backroad christians and mormons haven’t cornered the market on it . Some from everywhere will survive.

Personally, I have a couple of what-if contingency plans. So maybe I’m crazy and maybe I won’t survive. But I’ll try and I plan to bring some people with me.

5. Bear Grylls just looks for any reason to bite the head off a snake, yet some of his tips could actually help short term, but even the Anasazi couldn’t deal with protracted drought.

I used to spend 3 seasons a year living rough in the motherlode in California, with bears and cougars and rabid bobcats, etc… it isn’t easy, even with grocery stores within reach down the road. It would be decidedly more difficult in a mad scramble, plus the 4th season would be real tough.

I just read about mussels choking Hoover dam. The blight of the Great Lakes has gone west, and it is a serious situation for whomever depends on the water upstream. Seems like there’s a story like that every week. Asia’s breadbasket, ie Australia, has had unprecedented drought, floods, and fires. Australia’s version of the Mississippi, the Murray River, has gone dry.

Meanwhile, the seas grow more acidic, and jellyfish are proliferating as fish die off. This is what it is, and to call it doom and gloom is silly, we are in a sudden pinch and we’d better face it squarely.

I’m appalled by the public dialog of environmental issues, we are all in this together, and we’d better at least pull together. It’s in the fan.

Hey Pelmo,
    I was expecting some interesting comments from you, on this.
    Still around?
    Vacation?
    Re-living the 60′s ;-)

Xman I spent a few days in the Real World where everyone takes everything seriously and they lead normal lives. In other words I spent a few days in Los Angeles.

All I know is that to many people don’t have a clue. Look how many women would be totally lost if Oprah didn’t tell them how to survive each day.

Get Madison Avenue to package and promote shit in a bag and people will swarm to buy it. Or a few hollywood types take fat from their ass and put it in their lips and there is a mad rush by countless women to follow suit.

LaSirena is right. When disasters hit rural areas people band together and quickly rebuild. In urban areas if someone in governament or relief agencies don’t do it nothing gets done.

Hey Pelmo,
    Well, the Real World just got more unreal.

If we are headed into the Depression cellar, Eric Holder says we can now smoke pot legally to kill the pain.

I guess you heard his press conf. yesterday where he said the feds will no longer raid legally established medical marijuana dispensaries.
    He said it was Obamas campaign promise and is now the law of the land.

I still have a pain in the a#$ left over from the Bush administration. I wonder if that is a legal medical ailment?
    Just checked: It is. It is a PTSD.

Xman are you sure I didn’t use your head as a drum a few times with my night stick, when you were in San Francisco.

You can always say you get head aches from trying to dicifer the things that I write. There isn’t a doctor around that wouldn’t write you a script for medical reasons if you showed them one.

Hmmm….Possibly, Pelmo.
    Did you hang out on North Grant?
    That was my favorite area. Close to the wharf, China Town, Carol and her friends, plenty of hippies and bikers.
    I need to go through my old photos. I have some classics.

I agree. If you need to take aspirin or the 100 other over the counter meds for pain, I’m sure a Doc can write you a note for an organic herb.

Grant street is wher our station was located at. It was only a b lock away from China Town. Out the back door of the station in the alley was a very exclusive resturant called the Blue Fox. Speaking of bikers and hippies, there was a small grill that I would go into near Powell street.

The fantastic part about it on midnights is how nobody bothered anybody while in the place. there were policemen, prostitutes, hippies, bikers, gays and a thousand and one other characters. The short order cook ruled with an iron fist and everyone respected him and wouldn’t start anything inside the place.

The 60′s was a great time to be in Frisco.

You made me smile today, Pelmo.
    What a coincidence that we had the same favorite places.
    Yes, those were the days. I never went to the Blue Fox, but did frequent a few alley eateries that were right out of Singapore…me being about the only white face in the crowd.
    Don’t recall your grill but it sounds cool. My eyes were so wide in amazement in those early days of my youth that I probably looked like I was wired on something…especailly since I always had a grin on my face.
    The “new” Chinatown on Clement doesn’t even come close to the old Chinatown.

I’m planning an Abalone trip in April, and also plan on checking out my old grounds.

Here’s info on the Blue Fox.

Thanks for info on the Blue Fox. Like you I couldn’t afford a place like that. You nailed the description of the old China Town, it was like being in Singapore. There were so many places that tourists would not go, because it was off the beaten track, and the food and people were the genuine thing.

I made a fatal mistake when I went back there some nine years ago. I was expecting to find a bit of that magic that I experienced all those years ago.

It is hard to explain to people who had not experienced Frisco back in those days, how it really was. It was a special time that can never be recreated. You just had to be there.

The real China Town and Fisherman’s Wharf, and not the plastic tourist traps they are today. The mixture of flower children, war protesters, servicemen by the thousands, bikers, and all those topless joints.

That’s why it is so nice to talk to you since you do understand what a wild and crazy time it was. So enjoy yourself when you go back, and don’t let the new spoil all those fond memories you have.

Fortunately for me, I have continued to go there through the years and so the transition was not so abrupt. I have run a few Bay to Breakers, some California Miles and a bunch of Takara Cable Car Chases…plus a bunch of others I can’t remember..oh yeah, half marathon, etc.
    May last B to B I stopped in at a corner store 1/2 way up Hays Street Hill and got a beer for the rest of the run and my last TCCC, I passed out 3/4 way up California and fell into the gutter…but managed to awake, finish and party at the finish, the Tiako Drummers, etc.
    Funny, you don’t realise how much life you have tied up in something until you think about it.
    I haven’t even started talking about the bars yet…..