Monsanto and the Death of Milk

Bad MilkWal-Mart recently announced its store brand milk would no longer come from cows treated with artificial growth hormones.

If you’re unfamiliar with growth hormones in your milk, here’s a brief introduction…

This Is Your Milk On Drugs

Bovine Growth Hormone (BGH) is secreted naturally by a cow’s pituitary gland, boosting the cow’s energy and preventing the death of mammary cells.

In 1937, two Russian scientists named Asimov and Krouze discovered that BVH also made lactating cows produce more milk. But, BVH was only available from dead cows in small quantities, so it wasn’t a very profitable option.

Then, along came Monsanto, the multinational biotechnology corporation that has gifted the world with Agent Orange, DDT, Aspartame, and terminator seed technology.

The good folks at Monsanto figured out how to artificially produce BVH — they genetically engineered E. coli!

And thus, dairy farmers began injecting their cows with modified E. coli, and the cows began to produce 10-20% more milk, and because the extra milking caused cow teats to have sores, the farmers started giving all their cows antibiotics to try to prevent the sores, and that’s how greed for profits put a gallon of white pus-filled chemical-laden animal secretion on your grocery’s refrigerator shelf.

Why Drink Milk Anyway?

So, now that Wal-Mart has turned the tide against Monsanto, it looks like BGH tainted milk may be a thing of the past, like cocaine-laced Coca-Cola, or New Coke, or clear Crystal Pepsi for that matter.

But, before we rush to get a cold tall glass of old-fashioned organic milk, should we not ask if organic animal secretion is much healthier than animal secretion from a cow injected with modified E. coli?

Fat KidsSure, it’s got calcium and vitamin D. But, for crying out loud, it’s also loaded with calories! Do these kids look like they need more calories? Tell them to drink fortified orange juice, or just pop a TUMS if it’s calcium they need.

Yes, I’ll be the first to admit I love cheese, and ice cream, and even the gazillion calorie tall glass of milk flavored with Nestle’s Strawberry Quick. But, I also like potato chips. And the dairy industry’s Got Milk ads make it sound like our lives depend on gulping regular large quantities of white animal secretion. And it’s just not so, anymore than your health depends on munching a tall can of Pringles potato chips with each meal.

The fact is, that until refrigerators were invented, the vast majority of humans in the world didn’t drink much milk. Billions of Asians, Africans, and other cultures STILL drink very little milk. And their health is fine, if not better than the average American. But, another fact is that there’s about 65,000 dairy farmers in the United States, selling $27 billion worth of milk. And spending a few hundred million dollars on generic brainwashing is worth it to keep the gravy train rolling.

But, at least the tide is turning on the hormones.

So, good riddance Monsanto. And good riddance Dairy industry.

Now that I’ve got that off my chest, I think I’ll grab an ice cream sandwich…

* * *

“The amazingly successful and expensive advertising campaigns of the dairy industry not only got our mothers to feed us formula instead of breast milk, but seem to have convinced us that it is “natural” for people to drink cows’ milk. Nothing could be less natural. No species drinks milk beyond infancy and none consumes the milk of other species.” ~Neal Barnard, M.D.

[tags]milk, bovine growth hormone, Monsanto, Wal-Mart[/tags]

This entry was posted in History, Politics. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Monsanto and the Death of Milk

My folks had to get a goat for me when I was an infant due to bad reactions to cows milk. Almost all of my adult life I have used soymilk on my cereal. It’s gotten quite good. Unfortunately, though I buy “organic”, I’m less and less sure what that means anymore since the corporations seem to have invaded that turf too.

When I need a hit of something industrial, I get out a beaker and add: phosphoric acid, caffeine, carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, some caramel coloring and a dash of natural flavorings.
    Hey, “It’s the real thing”.

2. Will says:

My wife and I recently started getting our milk from a local farm. no hormones, no antibiotics, only grass fed, no grain. What a colossal difference in the taste and content.

I thought I was lactose intolerant, but as it turns out, I was corporate milk intolerant. The natural raw milk sits just fine in my stomach.

Xman: I know what you mean…I fear the term “organic” is more and more going to be less about a change in growing the food and mostly about tacking on extra dollars for pretending to be naturally grown food. And despite the beaker of nasty sounding chemicals you mentioned, it does hit the spot sometimes.

Will: I guess your stomach doesn’t lie, does it? For me, after seeing the way Monsanto shut down these Fox News reporters, there’s no doubt there is some very bad stuff coming through in the BVH-treated cows’ milk.

A friend of mine who is a Nebraska farmer has been fighting all three big corporations Mosanto, ADM and Cargil with all their genetically modified products.

Most countries won’t accept our modified exports especialy corn and soy beans.

As a kid I had the pleasure of going every friday night and getting a couple of gallons of milk straight from the cow and watched my parents skim off the cream once the milk had settled and later they would use a small churn and make their own butter. They even made their own yogurt from the milk. can’t do those things now.

5. libhomo says:

Nonfat milk has fewer calories than most juices and sodas.

6. Jodi says:

Milk it does a body good! Got Milk? I have to agree that milk is not nearly as good for us as the industry would have us believe, but neither is red wine, beer or diet coke, and I still drink those. God knows I love my yogurt, and so does your little girl. I do think that milk (even skim milk) makes you fat. Especilly the hormone laced milk. I think it would be nice to try the non tainted milk. Will they make it in skim?

With all the trash they are putting in our food, we are all going to be either very well preserved, or our bodies will just quit working. I have my fingers crossed for well preserved. I want to look good when I am 90.

“…non tainted milk. Will they make it in skim?”

The cows they get skim milk from are in the pasture with the low-fat grass ;-)

8. Dusty says:

Ok, you went and did it..you made me think about all that hormone-stuffed meat I eat too. And about those sick cows those yahoo’s in SoCal were picking up with front loaders since they were too sick to walk and still making hamburger for kids out of them.

And how they genetically mess with seeds now..and on and on..

I am going to have nightmares now..I just friggin know it Joe ;)

9. Dusty says:

Oh and those fat kids could use more milk and less french fries and Mickey D’s burgers if the truth be known. Just saying.. ;)

I got a little disgusted reading about the food industry, too. Bought a little personal-sized 6-cup rice/food steamer this past weekend, and am loading up on wild rice, steamed carrots, steamed cabbage, black beans…and that stuff is so good. But, I know after a week or so a Pizza and Coca-Cola attack is going go down so good, too…gotta find a balance, I guess.

11. Angel says:

Why do we drink milk from another species anyway. They don’t drink ours.
    Don’t we have new mothers believing they should give their new babies cow milk instead of their own breast milk. hum…What is wrong with this picture?
    What we get from milk we can get from vegetables.

It’s amazing how gulliable America has become concerning food. Have you seen the lime green and purple cauliflour? Have you seen the size of lemmons, apples, tomatoes, etc. How about seedless grapes and watermelons. I can’t believe people think seedless is a great thing. Have you seen the strange flowers that were out a few years ago that could with stand severe cold and snow? Wow, I was amazed everytime I saw them. They lasted all winter into the summer until they were pulled up for some other Frankenstein flower.
    This is not new people. We have been eating GMO’s for a very long time. Now we have the cloned meat. Ha! And do’t ingest any of Monsantos gmo’s they will own you. Ha! Remember the patents they have on thousands of seeds.
    Ha! Now there is rumor of a rice shortage. Monsanto tried the thing with the rice as well. Making the third world countries think they coud get the vitamin A they needed by eating rice. Well, imagine the amount of rice they need to accfomplish that. Now they want control of the poor mans food. Geeze. Have they no shame at all.

My word of advice. Research what is going on with our food. Get a copy of the book “Seeds Of Deception: Exposing Industry aand Government lies about the safety of food. GENETICALLY ENGINEERED FOODS you’re eating. By Jeffrey M. Smith. Also get the DVD by Debra Koon Garcia about our food.

Good luck.

Thanks for the book and DVD recomendations, Angel. I agree, and Monsanto (along with Halliburton) embody “evil corporate greed” as well as any organization on the planet. When you start looking into them, it’s just unflipping believable where they are single-handedly (doublehandedly?) taking the country, and the world…

13. Pingback: plr articles internet marketing