Coexisting: Bush Gets It

President George W. Bush finally seemed to be channeling Thomas Jefferson last Friday on a rare occasion when he shared his personal thoughts about different religions:

I believe in an Almighty God, and I believe that all the world, whether they be Muslim, Christian, or any other religion, prays to the same God. That’s what I believe.

Yes, he did leave atheist Americans out of the equation, but this was about his personal belief, which doesn’t include a world without a universal creator intelligence, so I won’t knock him for that. It was just nice to hear him say praying to a higher power by a different name doesn’t automatically put a free-delivery tactical nuke in your mailbox.

What further almost knocked me out of my Barcalounger was when Bush drew attention to the fact that not all terrorists are Muslim, which has been inferred by the religious right so many times since 9/11:

…we had a person blow up our – blow up a federal building in Oklahoma City who professed to be a Christian, but that’s not a Christian act to kill innocent people.

I know Bush has been a big bad dumb wolf in sheep’s clothing most of his Presidency, so don’t call me a fan of his continued march toward dictatorship. But I also think when he says something right, his words — and these latest words aren’t very popular among his evangelical-bomb-Iran-and-bring-on-Armageddon friends — should get some due attention.

So, even if he only said these words for show, I do now know that the thought of coexisting has at least crossed his neuron-starved brain, which is more than I used to believe.

More from Bush:

We are having an Iftaar dinner tonight – I say, ‘we’ – it’s my wife and I. This is the seventh one in the seven years I’ve been the president. It gives me a chance to say ‘Ramadan Mubarak.’ The reason I do this is I want people to understand about my country. In other words, I hope this message gets out of America. I want people to understand that one of the great freedoms in America is the right for people to worship any way they see fit. If you’re a Muslim, an agnostic, a Christian, a Jew, a Hindu, you’re equally American.

And the value – the most valuable thing I think about America is that – particularly if you’re a religious person – you can be free to worship, and it’s your choice to make. It’s not the state’s choice, and you shouldn’t be intimidated after you’ve made your choice. And that’s a right that I jealously guard.

Secondly, I want American citizens to see me hosting an Iftaar dinner.

Read Bush’s full address to his Iftaar dinner guests here: President Bush Attends Iftaar Dinner at the White House.

[tags]George W. Bush, freedom of religion, Christians, Muslims, Iftaar dinner[/tags]

This entry was posted in Politics, Religion. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Coexisting: Bush Gets It

1. It’s always good to give credit where its due, but it rings a bit hollow for a virtual template of the Antichrist to be lecturing on what are (or aren’t) Christian acts.

It’s outrageous for someone as deceptive as GWB to wrap himself in a cloak of Christianity as his actions defile the very meaning of it. Christianity is hardly fueled by guile and cunning and self-righteousness. It operates on principle, long-suffering, and liberal humanitarianism. It is characterized by forgiveness, and an attitude of seeking forgiveness. Where does any of this stick to Bush?

Hey Indigo,
    You hit the nail on the head.
    There is a saying in the car business: “if their lips are moving, they’re lieing”.
    Joe, as much as I’d like to be with you on this one…and boy have I fallen for the “words” all my life, I’m done with words. I want to see actions that prove the man. I’m done with swami’s, snake oil salesmen, hypnotists, cult figures and anyone else that asks me to trust them without a huge lifetime resume’ of doing exactly what they say.

Okay…okay…well, I’ve been trying to be positive over the last week, listening to a lot of Eckhart Tolle, and trying to let positive conscious energy affect my reality: Maybe if I try really hard to see the positive in Bush, I’ll slide into a nearby dimension where my commander in chief actually has a soul. I can see it hasn’t worked yet! :-)

Seriously, I am having a hard time balancing positive thoughts with the negative lately, as far as the state of the world is involved. The corporate new world pirates at our helm just seem to keep plundering and pillaging and blocking investigations faster than anybody can keep up with. I do want to be positive, but I fear that only leads back to sticking my head in the sand. And yet, to keep drawing attention to the antics of this administration (and the frontrunners for the next administration) seems like throwing a lot of negative energy out there that may be helping to create a sort of self-fulfilling American hell.

So, that is my soul confusedness at the moment…to see a perfect world just being in the now, as the Zen master, or to call out tyranny and oppose it like hell, as in the George Washington?

4. Being positive is centered in honesty and truly fighting the good fight…taking no prisoners, whomever.

Tough talk for a raging pacifist…I know. But when it gets down to brass tacks, truth is the absolute imperative.

You’re right…gotta tell the truth, and as Jefferson said, the citizenry has to stay informed or we will surely lose our freedom, and we’re seeing that come to pass. Still, I’ve been watching Ken Burns’ The War WWII documentary, and I find myself longing for something to feel patriotic about, and after searching for it I am finding slim pickings. But, I am still determined to post on some GOOD little known things about our country to counterbalance the bad…balance…I need some balance. Our COUNTRY needs some balance (Hint…listen up, egg-sucking roll-over-and-play-dead Democratic Congress…)

6. I think it goes beyond candor, to the cultural realization that genuine patriotism is founded in a devotion to the pursuit of truth, and not the facade of politics and propaganda.

But, I’ve been thinking a lot about what you said, Joe, and I’ll admit my persistent urge to listen to the liars in hope of finding some way to respect those I wish I could. I want to believe in the uprightness of my govt, etc, but not to the point of delusion. It is easy to lose one’s moorings in the info/disinfo crush, and the Stockholm syndrome allusion you made is apt. Regardless of desires, Americans must bite the bullet and look on this dilemma with a clear, objective eye, or else we’re all soon sunk.

7. Lynne says:

Even Hitler has his good points but it doesn’t mean I like him. :)

> In another universe Bush is just a loser somewhere in Texas.

Hahahaha…too funny, and a pretty mind blowing link. Sometimes I feel like a dog trying to understand how a tv works…we just don’t have the mental capacity to comprehend the complete, true nature of the universe. We can see little bits of it, and hold small pieces in our brains, but just don’t have the neuron power to hold the entire picture at once.

Boy, am I glad to hear you guys talk like this. I was beginning to feel like the Lone Ranger.
    Truth is a sticky concept. I’m sure Bush listens to his buddies (the patriotic corporate war mongers) and they tell him what a great job he is doing and can point to a bunch of things that work for them and residually for the good old USA and you and me. Truth. Their truth makes him feel good and so he wants to keep doing it. Just look at the deer in the headlights look on his face or listen to that jumbled, confused, pea sized brain stutter out an answer (any answer, cause a President must have one) and you can see he is also trying to find the light in the dark. Cheney says some good @#$%, Wow! he says, lets go with that! Just like us, he wants out of the mess. Just like us he wants the magic word, bean, potion, etc. that will set us all on the road to a great big patriotic group hug. But, that way can be disaster…when one is so desperate for “something”. Like Lynne says, Hitler made a lot of sense, but what a cost.
    I appreciate the need for balance and I hunger for it too. BUT, I will not give up my hard fought for developing ability to read between the lines, smell BS, and see red flags. I will not ever trust any leader completely, again. Like in a relationship, I may cut a little slack allowing for being a human, but when one behaves like our government leaders and business leaders, it looks like the whole barrel of apples needs to be composted.
    That is balance too.

There is a saying I have heard:
    “If you don’t stand for something, you will fall for anything”.
    I guess it comes down to what standards do you have and how well you follow them. Or, if you have any standards at all.

Bush and his boys seem to want to follow nature: Law of the Jungle.
    That doesn’t seem to be working for those of us who post here.
    I hope that is not the balance that we all have to accept.