John Edwards Calls Out Corporate America

John EdwardsWow. Looks like Edwards has learned a lesson or two from Kucinich and Paul. He just called out fascist Corporate America. In public! And he’s still standing! And his hair wasn’t even perfect!

Edwards has come a long way from being the first person from his family to attend college. He’s weathered the death of a 16-year-old son, watched his wife battle cancer, and publicly apologized for previously backing the illegal invasion of Iraq.

But lately, it looks like the man’s been drinking some of Bulworth‘s Kool-Aid.

Here are some choice excerpts from John Edward’s recent speech in New Hampshire:

The choice we must make is as important as it is clear. It is…a choice between corporate power and the power of democracy. It is the establishment elites versus the American people.

It’s not just that the answers of the past aren’t up to the job today, it’s that the system that produced them was corrupt — and still is. It’s controlled by big corporations, the lobbyists they hire to protect their bottom line and the politicians who curry their favor and carry their water. And it’s perpetuated by a media that too often fawns over the establishment, but fails to seriously cover the challenges we face or the solutions being proposed. This is the game of American politics and in this game, the interests of regular Americans don’t stand a chance.

Real change starts with being honest — the system in Washington is rigged and our government is broken. It’s rigged by greedy corporate powers to protect corporate profits. It’s rigged by the very wealthy to ensure they become even wealthier. At the end of the day, it’s rigged by all those who benefit from the established order of things. For them, more of the same means more money and more power. They’ll do anything they can to keep things just the way they are — not for the country, but for themselves.

Politicians who care more about their careers than their constituents go along to get elected. They make easy promises to voters instead of challenging them to take responsibility for our country. And then they compromise even those promises to keep the lobbyists happy and the contributions coming.

Instead of serving the people and the nation, too many play the parlor game of Washington — trading favors and campaign money, influencing votes and compromising legislation. It’s a game that never ends, but every American knows — it’s time to end the game.

All the big ideas in the world won’t make a difference if they have to go through this broken system that remains controlled by big business and their lobbyists. And if we fix the system, but aren’t honest with the American people about the scope of our challenges and what’s required of each of us to meet them, then we’ll be left with the baby steps and incremental measures that are Washington’s poor excuse for progress.

I have walked into courtrooms alone to face an army of corporate lawyers with all the money in the world…you cannot deal with them on their terms. You cannot play by their rules, sit at their table, or give them a seat at yours. They will not give up their power — you have to take it from them.

We cannot triangulate our way to real change. We cannot compromise our way to real change. But we can lead to real change. And we can start today.

Nearly ten years ago, I made the decision that I would never take a dime from a Washington lobbyist — I wasn’t going to work for them, and I didn’t want their money.

Because in the courtroom, when you present your case to the jury, you can offer facts and evidence, you can argue your heart out — and I have — but the one thing you can’t do, is pay the jury. We call that a bribe. But in Washington when an oil lobbyist gives money to office holders to influence our energy policy, they call it politics. That’s exactly what’s wrong with this system.

Money flies like lightning between corporations, lobbyists, and politicians. Well, we’re not going to take it anymore. Your money’s no good here.

There are 60 lobbyists in Washington for every member of Congress. It’s a stark reminder of our broken political system that leaves millions of Americans without a voice in their government — a government that is supposed to work for them.

We must think big and end the game!

Sounds like a revolution to me.

So, does Edwards really believe what he preaches? I suppose only he knows for sure. Then again, I don’t really care if it’s God or the Devil speaking the truth. Truth is precious, and you take it wherever you can find it these days.

[tags]John Edwards, Corporate America, Fascism[/tags]

This entry was posted in Politics. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to John Edwards Calls Out Corporate America

1. Petulant says:

Things about Edwards still trouble me. He has had so many “about faces” in his political career, after awhile it becomes difficult to take him seriously. There was a Meet The Press interview with him last fall when he first came out against the war, after being a co-sponsor of the Authorization Bill. He had a change of heart as always seems to be his case. His stances were fine, but one comment just hit me the wrong way. Old Russert showed a clip of Obama when he was in the Illinois State Congress, proclaiming that the War was a shame. Edwards did his little grimace and said “Well, Obama was just a state legislator. He didn’t have the same intel we did in the Senate.” Hmmm… Perhaps it is just me, but that really pissed me off and put Edwards in a completely different light for me and haven’t really took him seriously. I’ll look around on my external hard drives and see if I can find it.

I am not sure if Edwards is capable of revolution. It seems more like rhetoric and floor show to me. He did don some jeans, flew down to New Orleans, picked up a shovel and announced his candidacy. That is some grand theater.

2. Jodi C says:

The way I see it, is that they are all full of crap. At least the crap that Edwards is putting out there will encourage the people to take notice of our corporate bullies. Hopefully Corporate America doesn’t have him executed for telling the truth.

To quote Ed Rooney from Ferris Bueller, I don’t trust this kid any further than I can throw him, either. And I DO think to raise a $23 million dollar campaign fund, you have to somewhat full of crap.

But I do like what he said in that particular speech, the words alone taken without Edwards’ baggage.

The main stream talking heads keep asking Ron Paul and Kucinich, “Why are you in this race? You don’t have a chance.” And I think we’re seeing a good reason for them to stay in the race…they keep bringing up the real issues that other candidates would rather not talk about…the real problems that need to be fixed and it’s forcing some of the other candidates to talk about reality…that corporations are running America and the media without a conscience or accountability.

I’m still pulling for Kucinich and Paul, but it’s good to see somebody like Edwards talk real world, and call out the corporate cancer that’s eaten away at this country.

Is it because he is for real, that he is getting so little play time with the news media? The only time we hear about him, is if he takes a misstep, then we get it with both barrels.

5. Sal says:

In America, corporations and gov’t are merely quid-pro-quo whorehouses sold to the highest bidder. When the gov’t needs illegal wire-taps, Verizon and Sprint allow them secret rooms to listen in on calls. When Haliburton (and KBR) need more revenue, the gov’t hands out no-bid contracts. When the gov’t dislikes literature, Amazon and Wikipedia ban the book “America Deceived”. We The People had our gov’t sold out from beneath us.
    Final link (before Google Books caves to pressure and drops the title):

Lynne: Great site. That’s addictive looking at all the different ways to analyze the data…also weird to pull up your own neighborhood and see who’s giving to who. That MoneyWeb link is especially addictive…one thing just keeps leading to another…

Have to admit, if this speech were standing alone as a representation of Edwards, I’d be giving him a second look. But, so often he speaks on a subject from the party playbook, when he appears to have little personal knowlege and experience. He looks a little “deer in the headlights” at those moments. Human, but not firmly rooted, is how he looks to me. However, if he is trying and trying not to lead us down the same road as the others, then I’d accept his learning curve. Really, what other choice do we really have?

That sums it up for me, too. I like the speech, stand alone. I just wish somebody else had said it. It bothers me a LOT that Edwards not only voted for, but co-authored legislation with Lieberman that allowed attacking Iraq. I’m at the point where I find it very hard to vote for anybody that voted for war, and that doesn’t leave very many folks.

Another thing that bothers me a lot, is how Edwards finds it hard to lie, but yet still won’t tell the truth…and I’m specifically talking about this video:

Sen. John Edwards Refuses To Answer If 9/11 Carried Out From Within.

But I do like the words of the speech.

9. Lynne says:

News Meat is another good one.

10. writer x says:

Of course he doesn’t believe what he is saying. And most corporations and/or lobbyists understand that candidates of both sides of the spectrum will bash them, but as soon as the election is over they’ll come crawling back to suck on their tits.