Thinking Blogger Awards

Brent at An Angry Dakota Democrat was gracious enough to honor me with The Thinking Blogger Award — a meme award, where every somebody who’s lucky enough to receive the award in turn tags five bloggers that make them think. Thinking’s a good thing, see?

Thinking Blogger Award

I’d just like to say that I’m honored. I’m humbled. I’m deeply moved to receive this award. And I accept the award with profound gratitude, knowing that if I could use the word “I” in this paragraph any more, I would probably be sending a huge signal that I’ve got a bombastic ego and that I…I…I…I’m self-centered or something, and I wouldn’t want that…would I?

Thinking Blogger Joe Crubaugh

Anyway, receiving this award reaffirms the conviction I had when Hard-boiled Dreams of the World was first created. I remember that halcyon day like it was yesterday…

Hard-boiled Introspection

The name for Hard-boiled Dreams of the World was inspired by The Tobacco Shop, a poem by the legendary Portuguese author Fernando Pessoa. Written by Pessoa’s heteronym, Alvaro de Campos, the poem begins:

I’m nothing.
I’ll always be nothing.
I can’t want to be anything.
Apart from that, I have in me all the dreams of the world.

If you read your Quantum Physics Digest, you know that this universe is a participatory universe, a dream that we constantly create. Like nocturnal dreams, if one becomes lucid, one can have a much more vivid experience, and one can gain direct control over the content of this dream (note: some bums refer to this dream as LIFE.)

Hard-boiled Dreams of the World is one small, probably insignificant way I decided to increase my participation with the collective universe (note: some bums refer to the collective universe as GOD.)

And so it goes…

Hard-boiled Dreams’ Thinking Blogger Awards

NOW, THEREFORE, I, JoeC, Custodian of HARD-BOILED DREAMS OF THE WORLD, by virtue of the power invested in me by Brent and Ilker Yoldas (no doubt making a freakin’ exponential killing off inbound traffic…), do hereby confer the Thinking Blogger Award upon the following cerebral, intellectually appealing, mentally engrossing and reasonably highbrowed blogs:

1. God is NOT an Asshole. Indigobusiness has already received this fine award, but it would be unconscionable for me not to bestow it upon him again. His blog is a prolific cascade of cognition catalysts. Visit. Read. Have your cup of wonder restored by a veritable deluge of profound sundries.

2. Big Fat Liberal. Lynne’s blog is a level-headed dose of anti-war, pro-environment, human-rights medication to combat the excessively absurd radicals and corporate cancers running amuck in this world. Do yourself and society a favor: Visit her site. Get innoculated.

3. La Sirena. La Sirena provides a window on the world from her vantage point in the Windy City. That’s Chicago. Blogging across a wide range of topics, La Sirena composes and brings into sharp focus the world we inhabit. With gorgeous graphics, this site is like reading a blog inside the Art Institute of Chicago.

4. How Stupid Is You. Is your common-sense dipstick reading low? Do you need a refill of wise gumption? Visit Pete’s blog and get your attitude rotated and your sound judgement rebalanced.

5. Petulant Rumblings. Feeling snagged and annoyed by pricks from so many thorns in the world’s rose garden? Head over to Petulant’s site. Asheville’s confirmed cynic isn’t shy about revealing an opinion, and cynical opinions haven’t been so thought-provoking and simultaneously fun to read since Andy Rooney started pecking a typewriter for Stars and Stripes.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF I have here unto posted to my blog and caused the Great Seal of the Thinking Blogger Award to be affixed to the aforementioned blogs this the thirteenth day of April 2006 2007.

Congratulations, you won a Thinking Blogger Award!

Should you choose to participate, please make sure you pass this list of rules to the blogs you are tagging.

The participation rules are simple:

1. If, and only if, you get tagged, write a post with links to 5 blogs that make you think,

2. Link to this post so that people can easily find the exact origin of the meme,

3. Optional: Proudly display the ‘Thinking Blogger Award’ with a link to the post that you wrote.

On behalf of the Thinking Blogger Awards, thanks for thinking!

[tags]Thinking Blogger Award, awards, blogging, weblog, blogs, winner, success, you really like me[/tags]

This entry was posted in Art & Culture. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Thinking Blogger Awards

1. Pete says:

First, congratulations on your award, which is well deserved. Second, thank you for your kind words. And I do hope the awards ceremony is black tie optional, since Scotch taste so much better in a comfertable fitting suit, then those ill fitting tuxes.

Pete: I’m wearing cargo shorts and a T-shirt to the ceremony. Didn’t know they were serving Scotch, though…looking forward to that! Cheers!

3. Just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in…and found it in far better fettle than anticipated.

Since my blog is just a collection of clipped entries, it’s really those who did the heavy lifting who deserve the award, I’m just the compulsive packrat/editor.

Proudly, humbly gratefully, I’d just echo Pessoa’s excellent words…and twist them a bit, as is my dastardly wont:

Iím nothing.
    Iíll always be nothing.
    I canít want to be anything.
    Apart from that, I have in me (by virtue/vice of others) all the dreams of the world.

Forgive me for that, I know not what I do.

You know, the Beatles lifted lines from Elvis tunes, immitated Little Richard, revamped old standards, and cut and pasted sounds from stock audio archives…but I don’t think anybody would deny their unique creative force. Collage is a worthy art, and it’s uniquely mastered at God is Not an Asshole. And, besides, those little dropping red arrow bombs are cool, too…

5. Everything’s derivative, I reckon.

Thanks, Joe.

6. deadissue says:

I’m into blogging solely for the dick and fart jokes…

deadissue: That sounds like a great new award/meme to start…the Cheney Bush blog award. We know Cheney’s first name is Dick, and insiders have made it clear Bush likes to pull fart jokes…I think it will be a success…much more successful than their invasions ;-)

8. La Sirena says:

Awwww….Joe….. that was so wonderful! I’m honored and blushing. Thank you.

I love the inspiration behind the naming of your blog. I wonder if Gabo (Marquez) had someone like de Campo in mind when he wrote:

“He repeated until his dying day that there was no one with more common sense, no stonecutter more obstinate, no manager more lucid or dangerous, than a poet.”

More than deserving congratul;ations to you and thank you once again.

9. Brent says:

What? You self-centered? I would have never guessed. Keep up the good work.

10. I’m here to complain.

When I rip someone off, plagiarize, or just lift wholesale blocks of others text…such as:

IN WITNESS WHEREOF I have here unto posted to my blog and caused the Great Seal of the Thinking Blogger Award to be affixed to the aforementioned blogs this the thirteenth day of April 2006.

I expect accuracy. I will settle for nothing less. And I am not beneath expressing my righteous indignation for having been reminded, as a result, that this is indeed the 2007th year of Our Lord, anno Domini, AD, Year of the Pig.

Good eyes! You know, I don’t even know why, but I wrote “2004″ on a check a couple of weeks ago…senile at such an early age.

12. Blame Blog Ho, he catches everything.

13. Petulant says:

Congrats Joe and thanks for that mention! Since it was so nice and from the heart, I won’t shoot myself because of the Andy Rooney reference. That man gives the rest of us curmudgeons a very bad name.

HA! HA!

Andy Rooney’s my HERO!!! ;-)

Seriously, ever since I read Andy Rooney’s book, My War, about his WWII days as a field reporter on the Western front, my respect for him went through the roof. The guy went in the thick of it, flew on a bombing run over Germany, and some of the planes didn’t make it back. He was one of the first American reporters to visit and report on the German concentration camps.

So, don’t shoot yourself for being compared to Rooney…you’re way ahead of the curve! ;-)

15. petulant says:

I ordered My War from Amazon and will get some edumacation about the younger Rooney. Older Rooney and his rants still get on my nerves.

Cheers
    Petulant

Cool! I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. Just bringing it up the other day made me take my copy off the shelf and flip through some chapters. He’s one of those people who, when he passes, will astound unsuspecting masses with his obituary/biography. The guy lived a full life before he was thirty. And knowing what he’s been through somehow makes his whiney rants seem a lot more bearable…like that great uncle you affectionately love to pretend to hate.