Perfect Memory and the Cosmic Mind

Amasnic Fact Off!!!

Given any date in the last 25 years, a woman known as AJ can recall the day of the week, the weather, personal details, and major news events that occurred on that date.

Perfect Memory The scientists at the University of California, Irvine, call her the human calendar. She contacted them six years ago. Since then, they’ve put her through exhaustive interviews and psychological tests, but still don’t understand how she does it.

There have been savants who have narrow perfect memories, pertaining to music or a particular hobby, for example. But AJ’s memories are broad in scope, and she seems to be normal otherwise: early 40s, college graduate with average IQ, has held a job and gotten married.

So how does AJ’s brain store so much information, even when she’s not trying.

What if Brains Aren’t Memory Storage Devices?

In the UK in the 1970s, the University of Sheffield’s campus doctor was treating a math student for a minor ailment when he noticed the student had a larger than normal head. The doctor asked neurology professor Dr. John Lorber to take a look.

Dr. Lorber ran a CAT-scan and discovered that the student (a male math major, 126 IQ, went on to graduate with honors…) had virtually no brain. He had less than a millimeter of tissue at the top of his spinal column. The condition is called hydrocephalus, and it’s usually fatal in the first months after birth when the cranium fills with fluid. The fluid doesn’t leave room for the brain to develop.

Professor Lorber went on to locate several hundred people with similar conditions, some with “no detectable brain.” No brain, but they had memories and functioned normally…

If Not the Brain, Where Are Memories Stored?

The Akashic records, the Book of Life, the Cosmic Mind, and Carl Jung’s Collective Unconscious all refer to some sort of universal memory storage that records all events and responses concerning Consciousness in all realities. Some say that we experience memories when our conscious minds access the Akashic records.

Many NDE experiencers say that before we come to earth, in order to learn, we promise to forget that the world is really an illusion. Part of the brain’s function is to block our consciousness from freely accessing the Akashic records while we’re here. The Brain

If this is true, then sometimes the brain fails. And when that happens, people like AJ can remember practically anything.

“Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” ~Albert Einstein

[tags]memory, brain, autism, hydrocephalus, John Lorber, Akashic records, Jung, collective unconscious[/tags]

This entry was posted in Amasnic Fact Off!!!, Consciousness, Science. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Perfect Memory and the Cosmic Mind

1. Indigus says:

This Lorber info is cryptic and difficult to substantiate. At least it was when I defended it in the comments of a post I put up on Dem. Underground (awhile back).

This is such a fascinating subject. I wish I still had access to the stuff I gathered up on it.

Would you mind if I reposted this on my blog?

Cheers, Joe! Good work, and if I failed to wish you a prosperous 2007, please accept my late good wishes.

2. Joe says:

Hey Indigus: From what I read, I gathered there is some question as to exactly how much brain some of Lorber’s subjects had. And of course, there were the critics (much needed in the name of science, as long as they aren’t so obstinate in their viewpoint that they ignore data, as the Amazing Randi seems to have become, at least on occasion…)

Some evidence shows that the brain works like a hologram, so no matter how small it gets, the owner still has the whole in fewer cells. But there’s also evidence that certain memories are associated with particular areas, so it’s not really clear yet how the brain works and some of the evidence seems to contradict other evidence—which is a sure sign we don’t understand brain memory yet.

But, personally, this post was less about proving a theory and more about brainstorming brain theories and getting them down so I could come back later and spend more time looking into them…some stuff is just fun to think about.

P.S. I really enjoy all the metaphysical/science/religion/philosophy info you serve up at God Is Not an Asshole. Mind expanding stuff!

Feel free to repost anything you find over here, and Happy Always Better than the Last New Year back at you!

3. FK says:

A woman with a perfect memory? How’d you like to be her husband?

Oy veigh.

4. Indigus says:

Thanks, Joe. Yeah this was a fertile composite of interesting things to consider. The Lorber story had me digging hard for info, but the research yeilded insufficient info to sway the masses. I found it utterly compelling, and the people involved struck me as honorable.

Lorber had only a small, vestigal mass of tissue at the top of his brainstem yet functioned remarkably well. That is truly a mindblower, and does, surely, make a case for the holographic mind. I just wish there were more data.

Thanks for allowing me to nick this for my blog. I feel a little greedy when I see something I want to post in full, but I’d hate to truncate this.

Cheers!

5. Indigus says:

Correction: Lorber’s star subject, not Dr. Lorber…had the vestigal brain.

If Lorber did as well, he didn’t mention it.

ps I’ve been watching the tsunami warnings since last hour’s mega-quake (8.4?)
    off Japan. Alaska is nervous. Could be ugly in the Aleutians.

Sure been a bunch of quakes lately, but this one’s a monster. So far it looks like it might not do to much damage.

6. Indigus says:

FK makes a good point. LOL.

I should’ve more than glanced at this before commenting. The subject just flooded me with vague memories of my previous interaction, and my memory is far from perfect.

So I woke up this morning still about this and wondering if I could dig up the clinical files I dredged up before. I haven’t found the papers I was looking for, but I did find this page, which is a wealth of info and links.

This “brainless” talk got me to thinking about that headless chicken that survived for so long. Mike the headless chicken, that’s it, truth is truly stranger than fiction.

7. Joe says:

FK: that’s a little too scary to be funny! ;-) It did make me wonder how much empathy AJ the memory lady has for the rest of us who have much less than total recall…”I don’t understand…you don’t remember where you put your keys? How can that possibly happen?”

Indigus: I forgot about Mike the headless chicken! Thanks for the consciousness link, too. Interesting, interesting stuff…